Sunday, February 14, 2010

CHD Awareness Week

Happy Valentines Day to all and Happy CHD Awareness Week. With CHD, Valentines Day and the Olympics going on things are quite exciting right now. Well I have a new interesting fact that I just learned today and wanted to share. USA has a young snowboarder in the Olympics...Shaun White. He is an amazing athlete and we are excited to watch him try and take the gold at the 2010 Olympics...but did you know that Shaun White is a survivor of CHD? It's true! I heard about this from my sister in law and niece today. SO I did some research and this is what I found off of kidzworld.com. "Shaun White was born with a heart defect called tetralogy of fallot. He needed two surgeries to help fix it. But not even a heart problem could have stopped Shaun from being active. He first started snowboarding when he was six years old after watching his older brother Jesse trying it. Shaun White started entering ammeter competitions a year later. After winning almost every snowboarding competition he entered, Shaun White became sponsored by Burton and turned pro when he was just 13."
Even though today is the last day of CHD Awareness Week please don't forget about CHD and all the many babies, children and families affected by it. If you are a mother or a mother to be please have your babies tested when they are born or even while they are still developing in your womb. If you know of anyone who is pregnant or trying to become pregnant please spread the word and let them know about CHD.

No comments: