Thursday, June 17, 2010

HELP!!!!

This week I have kinda been feeling like "the world is my oyster" except instead of the world it's more like Utah. This is a feeling I haven't felt in a long time and it has been a little overwhelming. James and I have been talking about getting me back in school, we've also been talking about courses that I might like and be interested in. It's so weird to think that I can just go ahead and go to school where ever I want...well I think I'm going to stick to the Salt Lake area and up into Northern Utah. But I have been thinking about courses I might be interested in and which school I would want to go into. I have been thinking very strongly towards a degree as a Vet Tech. But again there is so much that comes with that. What if we get pregnant again what kind of strain is that going to put on me. Then when we have the baby how am I going to juggle work,school and being a mother. (with this degree I would have to be in the class room or in labs and things like that.) What are the good schools, should I get the Associates or bachelors,etc. I have also thought about a couple more things...doing a basic training course for seeing eye dogs, or getting another dog and doing pet therapy for hospitals and nursing homes. That's where the little guy above comes in. Currently we are fostering him (so he is up for adoption if your interested) the lady at the pound said that she thinks he is half Yorkie half schnauzer. But the way he walks and his face and ears might suggest he has some Chinese crested in him. Anyway he is almost 1 and still a puppy(although you would never tell by his disposition) he is calm and snugly. But there is another dog at the pound that is pretty old. She said that she thinks he might be 10+ years and because of his age she doesn't think he'll get adopted, but would like to see him go to a loving home where he can live out the rest of his life. Because he's so old I wouldn't have to go through puppy craziness again like we did with Rosko, he's already calm so I could still do the training with him and take him to hospitals and such. the down side? He is a bigger dog,long hair and again he's old so we couldn't get to attached cause he probably will pass away soon. But going back to the school thing if I go to school I might not have a whole lot of time to do the volunteer work for the hospital. I would be able to do the seeing eye dog program because I have to take the dog with me where ever I go... but I'd have to talk to my boss at work and make sure it wouldn't be an inconvenience. By law the dog is required to go everywhere I would go. But I don't want to put a sour taste in my bosses mouth...step on toes that sort of thing. There are some other programs I'm interested in but I would really like to work with animals...especially dogs and horses. ARRGGGGHHH...I'm SO CONFUSED!!! If you have ANY advice good or bad PLEASE share.

2 comments:

Stitchnmom said...

My advise for the schooling is take it one step at a time. Shoot for an Associates Degree and then when that's done you can evaluate where you are at and then go for the Bachelor's degree or put it on hold. That's what we've decided. After 8 years of off and on school I will have my Associated Degree in December. I then plan to take a break from school for a while and focus on my children. So my suggestion if you choose school just take it one step at a time!

earlh75 said...

I would suggest a tech. school for the reason they are fast paced. However..they are expensive and don't take breaks for anything. If you go to a university, you can take breaks whenever and start back where you were.

As for the dog: how big is it? The kids have been asking for one for a while now, and we really can't take in a big dog with apartments. But then again, if we move (which I anticipate) then we prob. can't have any animals