None of us slept very well so when the sun started to come up we were all a little reluctant to wake up. Kilian (of course) was the first one up and out of the tent. So I got up and got him and I some cereal for breakfast then got the fire started up again. I knew it wasn't going to stay cold for long, but it was nice to have the fire up and going. After awhile Avery got up and was ready for her cereal too.
The campsite next to us had this really neat rock formation with some holes in it. The people that were camping there had left rather early and we were sure when they were going to get back. So we took the opportunity to explore those holes. Most of them were just small but there was one that made a nice little cubby for the kids to climb into. We were even able to get Cowboy up there with them.
After that the kids wanted to start hiking all over. So it was time to get out of jammies and into some cooler clothes. First we hiked up the rock by our campsite. Both Kilian and Cowboy were freaking me out with how close they were getting to the edge. So I suggested we go hike the trail that was up from us. We were told that this trail has some swimming holes at the end of the hike and if there was enough water running, it also made a natural water slide. We were definitely interested to see that and with the sun getting higher and higher and the day getting hotter and hotter. I knew our time was going to be limited.
We grabbed some water and headed up the road to the trail head. There was already quite a lot of people hiking this trail already. It was a beautiful hike with lots of fun photo opportunities that the kids definitely took advantage of. The further we hiked the prettier it got, but also the hotter it got. we reached a sort or rocky outcrop/cave where we rested in the shade. We learned from the other hikers that it was still a ways to go and it was more open too, so less shade. It was already well past 80 degrees and we were getting low on our water. So I convinced the kids (who were already pretty hot themselves) that this was a good place to turn back. I am REALLY glad we did too. By the time we got back to camp our water was gone and it was getting closer to 90.
We rested at camp in the shade to cool off and played a card game that Avery got for Christmas called Kids Against Maturity. It was a lot of fun and had Kilian crying with laughter. Eventually though everyone was starting to get a little sun sick and with temperatures getting up into the 100's. We decided it was a good idea to spend some time out of the hot sun and go back home for a bit to take a nap in a nice air conditioned home. On our way out of the campsite we noticed that the old pioneer house was actually open. So we stopped to have a look. It was actually so fascinating, I really enjoyed it and I'm glad we stopped.
After a cold shower to cool off and a much needed nap for all, it was time to head back to our campsite for dinner. We were going to stay that night. But I wasn't able to get my shift for work covered and needed to be at work at 3AM. We thought it would be best to just pack up and head home after dinner so I could get more sleep and some decent sleep before work. But it was still fun to head back to camp for another round of roasted hot dogs and s'mores. It was so much fun camping and spending time together as a family. Seriously we enjoyed it so much that we are trying to figure out when we can go camping again very soon. Just at a higher altitude where it wont get so hot in the day. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment