Monday, August 12, 2013

Saying Goodbye is Never Easy

****Long, Sad Post******
First off  most of my pictures are not digital and I cant find them to scan them. So what I have here is pretty much what I got...

In 2000 a litter of adorable black lab, blue healer mix puppies was born to my friends dog. She told us about them when they were ready to leave their mother. I didn't intend to get one, I just wanted to see them. they were all so cute. I picked up one of the males and instantly he put his paws on either side of my neck and snuggled his face into my chest while his tail was going crazy. It melted my heart and I ended up taking him home with me. My roommate fell in love with him too. I named him Tukker, my dad wanted to name him Jasper. So I decided to give him a middle name. :p Tukker Jasper Earl. Tukker and I went through A LOT together. we lived in 2 different houses in Monticello, lived in my car for awhile. My sister Shelly took him for awhile to watch, my friend Julia took him in till i found a place to live. He lived with me in my parents RV in Moab for a year. where we had a lot of adventures imaginable and met lots of new friends both human and canine alike. Then we moved up to West Jordan, Herriman, Sandy and then to Seattle WA. Again we had a lot of adventures, including Tukker becoming a daddy to 10 cute puppies. In Seattle we got to enjoy all the wonders the north west has to offer. We went on hikes, saw beautiful lakes and the ocean. After that we moved back to Monticello to live with my parents. There Tukker remained with the exception of briefly living with my sister Kari in West Jordan while my parents went on their mission to Ecuador.

Tukker was such a good dog, he seemed like he was never going to get out of the puppy stage of chewing and hyperness. But after he settled down a bit he was very obedient. He was always lovable and loyal from the very beginning. he helped me get through some really hard times in my life and I always wanted him close. After I got off my mission and met James. I wanted to bring him up to South Ogden to live with us. James and Dad told me that it would be better for him to stay in Monitcello so he could run free on the 10 acres my parents have and play with their dog. In South Ogden he would be stuck in our condo for about 9 to 10 hours a day and then only have a small space to run around outside. I fought and fought and reluctantly gave in. I always thought that I would have a chance to bring him to live with James and I one day. I am so happy that Tukker had a chance to meet Avery even if it was for a short few months. Tukker was 13 years old when passed and was not just a dog. He was my best friend, my protector, my shoulder to cry on, my companion, my cuddle bug, adventure seeking buddy, etc. He was my Tukker Pup. I am going to miss him SO much. As much as I love all the animals we have or will have. None of them will be as special to me as Tukker was. Toto I think was the one who came closest because he was what helped me through my miscarriage. About two weeks ago Tukker started to sneeze a lot like something was stuck up his nose, my parents couldn't see anything when they looked. They said then he just stopped sneezing and the next day he had this bump on his head in between his eyes. A few days later was our trip to Monticello with our nephew Nate. I told my Mom that it looked like a tumor and that they should probably take him to the vet. So after we left my mom and dad took him to a vet in Moab the next day. She said that it wasn't a tumor, it was actually full of water. But Tukker wouldn't let her drain it or even really get near to it. She gave my parents some antibiotics to give to him and said that if it didn't go down to come back in. It got worse. It grew and now was encompassing his eye. So they took him to another vet in Cortez to get a second opinion. This vet confirmed what I thought. It was a tumor and a fast growing one at that. Due to it's location it had already taken his eye sight and all and was going to get worse. The vet said that there was nothing they could do because it was on his head. the vet said that if it had been on his leg they would have had to amputate his leg and that might not even get it all. My mom said you could tell Tukker was in a lot of pain. His tail didn't wag anymore, he didn't have his normal smile on his face. (Yes Tukker smiled) So my parents made the difficult choice of putting him down. I understand that Tukker is in a better place (yes I also be, lieve that god has a heaven for animals) and that he is no longer in pain. Tukker left this world Aug 8, 2013.  My only regret is that I couldn't have been there for him in one of his hardest times like he was always there for me.
Goodbye Tukker. You have left an impression in my life and on my heart that can never be erased or replaced.

3 comments:

Kari Nitzel said...

I remember when he had to wear the cone of shame and stay in our garage for a little while; when we came home you let him in the house to let him out in the back to do his business, you only opened the slider enough for his body to slide through and forgot about the cone. He had to go so bad he kept trying to go out only to get bounced back by the cone. We laughed so hard, you pee'd your pants.
Tukker was a great dog, and you trained him well. He will be missed terribly. He left a wonderful mark on all of our hearts that will never go away.

Jessica said...

Sorry for your loss!

The Jensens said...

Tukker was a great dog. No matter who you were he was always happy to see you. I loved that he loved to ride the 4 wheeler. I remember the time we took him out in the canoe with us and the fun he had jumping out and swimming to shore. He was a good dog and will be missed.